4 June 2013

My Journey To Hogwarts.

At the end of January I started reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, for the very first time. On sunday evening I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! I'd never read the books before and I have only ever seen the first movie and a little of Deathly Hallows part I, after reading Deathly Hallows I realised just how little I had seen of the film, I hardly remembered a single thing! I was sure I would read something and it would bring back lots of memories from the film but that didn't happen. I don't know how I managed to miss the Harry Potter phase (I know it's not a phase guys! But you know what I mean...) I always absentmindedly skipped through the memes on tumblr and never wanted to watch the films just in case I one day decided to read the books.

During the middle of last year I finally decided that I really wanted to read the Harry Potter books. There had been enough time for the hype to die down (again, I know that the hype will never die down, but you know what I mean...) and I could read the books at my own pace, just me and Harry Potter! (And Becky, Sunae and Alice, whom I chatted to during my Harry Potter journey, a lot!) You may have seen a few tweets back and forth but for the most part I kept it to myself because I didn't want some internet troll to give anything away.

It's probably not a shock to anyone when I say that I absolutely loved these books. I have never been so involved in a book before, I was hooked from the start and never wanted to put them down, of course, life gets in the way and you have to put them down sometimes but I was always looking for the next chance I could join Harry Potter on his quest.

You should know that I disliked Harry a lot, sure I loved him because he's Harry Potter, The boy who lived! but this guy is so self-involved. As soon as someone else feels some form of happiness he's having a moan about it. I know you've had a terrible life Harry but just let others enjoy their life a little before you bring it back to yourself, yeah? This meant that I wasn't really a fan of the whole "Harry and Ginny" thing. It seemed as soon as he noticed that Ron and Hermione (more on that later) were becoming a thing, he needed to find someone who he could fall in love with straight away, so it never really felt like the real thing when I was reading about it. He also rarely says thank-you to those who helped him along the way. Manners cost nothing my boy!

You should also know that I have never been as heartbroken over a character's death as I was with Sirius's. I absolutely loved Sirius and had no idea that he was going to die. It happened so quickly that I had to re-read the paragraph just to make sure I took it all in. For a week after I became sad whenever I was reminded that my favourite character would no longer be there for Harry and I still refuse to believe that he's dead to be honest with you. I wanted to unread the paragraph and just pretend that he was still alive. He didn't have a very valiant death, he was just killed while everyone else was fighting and not paying a lot of attention and it wasn't until the last minute that anyone noticed, poor Sirius. After having to stay locked inside a house that he hated for months on end I think he deserved a much better death. Sirius, James and Lily's best friend, Harry's Godfather, the man who died before everyone knew the truth about him. Sure, he was an asshole to Kreacher and I won't forgive him for that but he was my favourite and I loved him! (Obviously my hatred for Bellatrix tripled when she killed him and laughed. How dare you laugh Bellatrix!!) Oh, and Harry, Sirius would never have died if you'd just listened to Hermione instead of being so self-involved again. Yeah, I said it!!

I never really knew what to think of Snape, "Professor Snape, Harry." but I always felt like J.K Rowling made him out to be such an ass that there was something hidden with him that would explain everything and make us change our minds about him, when he killed Dumbledore I completely believed that my first thought was wrong and he was just a massive dick,  which meant that I wasn't prepared for how completely and utterly heartbroken I would feel for him later on. Both him and Sirius were killed before they could be recognised as the heroes they were and that makes me feel even sadder for them both :(

Ron and Hermione... Oh, Ron and Hermione, Romione <3. My all time favourite love story right there. I have never ever willed characters to hurry up and fall in love as much as I did with these two, I felt her pain when Ron left them and it seemed like he wouldn't return and I can't tell you how excited I was when she jumped on him and finally kissed him. Yay, Romione!!

J.K's writing is fantastic and her very "matter of fact" take on the deaths in Deathly Hallows were brilliant. At first I thought "God, she's just killing off these people and she doesn't even care." but soon realised that actually this is how quickly people were being murdered, this is how often it had happened that it was just something that occurred so often that Harry had to be that matter of fact about it or he would have broken long ago. In fact, she brushed past the fact that Lupid had been killed so smoothly that I had to read his name over and over just to make sure I had read it correctly. Poor Lupin, he was my second favourite.

My favourite book is Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban. I'm not entirely sure why (probably because that's when you first meet Sirius!) but I just know that it's the book I look forward to reading the most again!

I have one big irritation that i'd like to take up with J.K though, and that is why weren't any of Harry's children named after Sirius? Becky informed me that Rowling revealed in an interview she did after the books that James' middle name was Sirius, but couldn't it have been included in the books!? I'm pretty sure Harry would have named his child after Sirius way before he thought about naming him after Snape!

I'm sure i've missed out a huge block of things I wanted to say but before I waffle on too much, (I already have, i'm sorry.) I just wanted to say how awesome my Harry Potter journey was. I loved these books and I'm so, so sad that it's over now, that I'll never get to read them for the first time ever again, but I'm so glad that I finally did. I loved these books so so so much. I can't wait to watch the films, even though a big part of me is terrified that they've changed too much and i'll hate them, i'm sure i'll love them just because of what they are though.

7 comments:

  1. This post was lovely to read! Its rare to see a fresh take on the book, as not a lot of people haven't read them at all! I must get round to re-reading them, I've not read the first two properly as they were read to me when I was little (THAT's how long its been!) the later ones I read in a few days as soon as they came out, I think Deathly Hallows took 3 days! And I love the covers you've got, its good to have a matching set! I hope you enjoy the films too!

    Hannah xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so amazingly written and I fully enjoyed the post but I don't know how well our friendship can do if you've only just read these books!! haa.

    I have no idea how you missed the Harry Potter 'train' either 'cause it was my whole childhood. Distraught when my letter didn't arrive. Glad you enjoyed them though.
    I love the books way more than the films :)

    Danielle x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually got teary reading this post. I know, I'm a total silly billy, but it's so amazing seeing someone enjoy these books for the very first time! I started reading Harry Potter when I was 10 years old. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of waiting for the next book or movie to come out, re-reading or re-watching the already released ones every time in preparation. When the Deathly Hallows part 2 came out at the cinema, I went to the midnight screening and it is one of those experiences I will never forget. The whole cinema laughing, crying, cheering, hugging all because of what we saw on that screen! Harry has been there for me through thick and thin. Whenever I'm sick, or feeling down I can put on one of the movies and get lost in the wizarding world, and it's so comforting! I am so glad that now you have read the books, Harry, Ron and Hermione can be there for you in your times of need too. This might sound really lame, but they are honestly the best "friends" you could ever ask for! ALso, I agree with you on so many things you brought up in this post! I am reading the Prisoner of Azkaban again at the moment, and oh my goodness, I just love it! Saying that, my favourite book has always been the Goblet of Fire. I feel like Harry really grows up in that book, and it's the start of all the "real" action in the series, too with Voldemort back. My favourite movies are the first and last though. I hope you love them as much as I do! Try not to see them as a part of the book. They are separate entities, both as brilliant as each other! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to re-read the series. Harry Potter will always have a very, very soft spot in my heart. I won't go into a lot of detail, but it was a big part of my growing up and to this day my boyfriend and I frequently watch the movies and plan our HP tattoos. This post was great, so glad you shared your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I CANNOT WAIT FOR YOU TO SEE THE FILMS! THEN WE CAN GO TO THE STUDIO TOUR IN WATFORD AND IT WILL BE MAGICAL!!!

    Controversial opinion: I HATE the ending. "All was well". What a bloody cop out!

    Ps: Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite too!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently most people's favourite HP book is the Prisoner of Azkaban!! SO glad you loved these- I absolutely bloody love them too. I totally agree about the deaths in The Deathly Hallows- my brother said that it seemed unnecessary, but I was like "NO- you couldn't have the good guys come through completely unscathed!" and I think there are so many good messages from these books- e.g. not judging people before you know them- particularly from the Sirius/ Snape deaths.
    I used to sit and read the books straight through when the new ones came out- literally in a day. I think I might have to do that again one day.... just take a week off work to do nothing but read Harry Potter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you got the books? I love those! (mine are different layouts)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave me a comment, it's nice to know what you think about my silly little rambles :)